Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Yesterday is gone...

My best friend and I were talking this morning about how children really allow you to appreciate the simple things in life....the fact that we were actually talking on the phone is one of them. On both ends our conversations are constantly interrupted by crying, things spilling, someone pooping, along with millions of other things. We had text each other several times , but had not actually spoken in over a week! Texting is great for quick things and some adult interaction, but it is no match for for hearing someone's voice. Along with phone conversations, here are some of my other favorite things, which in another life I took for granted:
Going to the movies: This is something I used to be able to do on a whim..."Hey, I'm bored, lets go to the movies.." Not anymore. Going to the movies takes an act of congress.... getting a baby sitter, packing a bag, etc. Todd and I can usually never go together. I'm also the world's worst critic now...first of all, I haven't seen the movie you are going to ask my opinion on, and second I probably haven't even heard of it unless it involves cartoon characters. Secondly, unless it is some horrific blood bath type and you are asking what I thought of it, it's going to be the best movie ever! It doesn't take much to entertain me these days. When you get to see one movie a year (I'm not kidding) every movie is awesome! I will just be excited to have been in the movie theater. So...please don't form an opinion of a movie based upon what I say.
Going out to eat: When you have a tiny baby(s) this is not an issue. Going out to eat is a breeze...they usually sleep the whole time. When they get to be 1 and up, watch out. If I get to eat my food, it's cold. Salads become an even greater option at this point. You are constantly fielding food and tempers being thrown. Blood pressures raise as a child's time span for eating in public places disappears. All I wanted was a meal I didn't have to cook or clean up after...was it worth it?
Getting Ready: If you wake up super early, great you can probably achieve this, but most moms I know value their sleep more than fresh make-up. Because I'm horrible at taking off yesterday's make-up I always have some on the next morning. As gross as this may be....it gives me a little to work with when I have to dash out the door. Some days my showers are not until 9pm or later.

Anyway, this is just me venting. Kids are great, they are worth cold food, a dirty face, and always provide entertainment.....As Luke walks out from pooping, "Mom, come look, it's a huge circle!" Awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment